Thứ Ba, 16 tháng 9, 2014

Slow Day For Lee

After the torrent of small victories made yesterday, Tuesday has been stuck in the proverbial mud.  It took me four hours to get to this point:


As you can see, I have narrowed it down to a single function call, but it is called across hundreds of different objects and only one of them may be corrupting the heap. The heap in question in the stack of memory which holds all the data for the engine, and while applying a shader to one of the light mapped imported objects, the vertex data copy operation is overwriting neighboring blocks of memory and causing a heap crash. 

Finding it was a complete mare, but fixing it might be just as torturous. The good news is that I am tracking it down now and with a little luck I can solve it once and for all.

Fortunately this was not my only small win today, as I have also solved the issue of the light map image files saves from crashing by moving the DirectX copy texture and save code from the threaded process to the main one. A rival solution was to activate the DirectX multi-thread mutex feature but that would have incurred a very small performance hit which I am no longer willing to compromise.

It's about nine thirty PM now and still no joy in figuring out which object is messing up my heap so will do my usual back-ups and resume Wednesday with better eyes.  As un-glamorous as this type of code fixing is, it may solve several issues in one go as the unpredictable outcomes of silent heap corruption can be far and wide.  Thirty objects down, several hundred to go...

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét